Pay at the Table Restaurant Systems Q&A
Pay at the Table Restaurant Systems Question and Answers
What does it mean to pay at the table?
- Pay at the table means just that! After finishing their meal, the server brings the check and the portable payment terminal to the guests’ table. Gone are the days of servers jetting back and forth between guests and the house point of sale system.
- That sounds convenient for both guests and servers. But what do I have to do to provide this pay at the table option?
- You must equip your restaurant with one or more handheld EMV payment terminals, on top of your current point of sale system. And that’s it!
What is EMV?
- EMV chips are tiny computers found on the new debit and credit cards. A guest needs only to dip the EMV chip card into a payment terminal, then either enter their PIN or sign the check. EMV chip cards are currently the global standard of payment, providing a more secure alternative to magnetic stripe cards.
What if I don’t upgrade and continue to use my old system?
- Recent U.S. EMV liability shifts mean that if you don’t have a system that accepts EMV and the guest must use their magnetic stripe card (regardless of owning a chip card), you may be at risk if a transaction is fraudulent.
Are you saying I’ll have to fork over penalty fees?
Exactly. So, it’s essential you make sure your point of sale equipment is updated as soon as possible, or it may end up costing you. Pay at the table also conveniently allows your guests to pay without ever leaving their seat. Once your guest is ready to pay, the server simply brings the wireless terminal to the table and passes it to the guest. A chip card needs to be inserted into the terminal and must remain there until the transaction is complete. Once the guest confirms the total, including tip, the payment is processed all at once. The card never leaves the guests hands, and no pre-authorized payments like gratuity are allowed.
Who Can Help Me ?
- Pay2Amigos can help you today with all you payment needs and pay at the table equipment Needs.
- We have help restaurant save big $$$ on pay at the table needs.